Thursday, April 27, 2006

What's In a Name?

Naming someone whom you've never met is a difficult task. However, it's very important. It's a huge privilege to grow a child in your tummy, and then actually name it. It's almost as huge as Adam's role in naming the animals. That's why thinking up baby names is a very important task.

Right now you are probably thinking of some people you know whose parents didn't really think that naming them was that important. That person's name might be Robbie Roberts or the fraternal twins, Male (Molly) and Female (Fe-molly). (Note: These twins actually exist, according to our previous pastor's wife, so hopefully she's not lying)

There are several factors one must take into consideration when naming a child. Some are probably true for everyone and some are just my own preferences. You can try to figure out which are which.

1. You cannot name your child the same name as someone else in your immediate or extended (2nd cousins and beyond may not count) family, unless it's a "Jr."

2. The child's first and last name should probably not rhyme. They will sound like a storybook character or something.

3. Unique names are okay, but overly unique names usually equal teasing at recess.

4. Bobs, Toms, and Tims everywhere have requested that no one ever be named their names ever again. There are just too many of them.

5. Middle names are just as important as first names even though they're used less often. Maybe that's why I haven't given into the middle name Nick has picked out just yet.

Are there any additions to the list? I've got to get back to work.

7 comments:

Lenny said...

I personally think children should be named after people from the Bible (most would probably disagree with some of my choices, however).

G. F. McDowell said...

I always wanted to name my children after biblical characters who killed bad people. Like Phineas. Or Deborah. Or David. All joking aside I must say, as my name is Guillaume McDowell, don't try to use your child's first name for your own purposes, political, coolness, or otherwise. Also, use an accepted, orthodox spelling. No kaytelyn or jyclyn please! I personally want to use single syllable names with my children, but what do I know, I'm not even married yet.

Kate McDonald said...

not that I am the expert on this or anything...i mean, geesh! it took shawn and i two weeks to name our second puppy-- AFTER we had taken her home.

but here's my two cents none the less:

-i like names that have meaning attached to them... some friends of ours have a very irish heritage and named their two girls traditional celtic names (very cool) ..my friend Ksenjia (pronounced Kesenya) has a Croatian name cause that's where her parents were missionaries when she was born...i like it when people name their kids after favorite painters, musicians, writers, Bible characters..,

-the thing is, those names actually should SOUND good too..you know? like its cool to name your kid after a Bible character, but can you imagine calling a sweet little guy Ezra? or Hosea? or even Moses for that matter? little white toe headed Moses...hmm...too each his own I guess.

- my last personal rule for naming is: make sure the names fit together and have some sonic 'flow' I think its especially important for little boys who will be keeping those names together for the rest of their lives!

ok...that's what i got.

*ps don't you hate it when everyone starts liking a name you like? i have always wanted to name a little boy 'aiden' after aw tozer...and just last year it was the most popular boy;s name..ugh! now i either have to wait 5 year until the craze dies down to have a child and bring it back as a 'fresh' name or find a new favorite name. (oh the struggles of life *grin*)

Nick Nye said...

Kate- you're just like Britt on this subject!

Maybe we should post some names we've tossed around and have a vote?

Kate McDonald said...

yes! post them! I'd be interested in hearing what the two of you are debating!

Hilary Noltemeyer said...

We like different names (obviously- we have Willow, Mirabel and Lincoln). We like strong names that can stand on their own and we use a family name for middle names. Willow Cate (Cate is my middle name), Mirabel Gray (Gray to offset the girliness of her first name and after my brother Graham) and Lincoln Vincent (Vincent is Kyle's late grandfathers name and Kyle's dad's middle name). So there's our two cents for what it's worth.

Overall, we have found that after prayer and much discussion, our names fit our kids perfectly.

I'm interested in what names you all are tossing around . . . any hints :)

Anonymous said...

I always wanted my kids to have either a first or middle name from the Chronicles of Narnia. I think it's cool to have a story behind your name, and being named after a litterary character is a good one, I think. It works for me anyway. I'm named for the book Christy by Catherine Marshall.