Monday, February 26, 2007

Being Honest or Being Holy?

Lately I've been reading 'Out of the Saltshaker and into the World' by Rebecca Manley Pippert. I chose to read it because it's about evangelism, which is something I want to embrace as more of a lifestyle than an event. In high school and college, I was involved with evangelism "events" of all sorts, but lately I feel the Lord wants me to glorify Him by being evangelistic in my everyday life.

I had my qualms about reading this book, since the cover is quite seventies-ish (got my copy at a used bookstore--copyright 1979, baby!) And I get the point about the title, but I thought it was kind of cheesy. Yet I've heard people rave about it, especially in seminary circles, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm so glad I did!

At the end of the first chapter, Pippert put into words a thought that's been tumbling around in my brain for a couple of years now. All I'd been able to process about this vague thought had been that I was feeling uneasy about how cool it is in our culture, and even in the Christian sub-culture, to be "real." You know, like the J-Lo song, the reality TV shows, the t-shirts that label people as being brats, or spoiled, or what have you. Now, I don't really have a problem with J-Lo, or reality TV, or people who want to be called brats, because I see the point of this way of thinking. I cherish honesty far above many traits. I would rather be smacked in the face with honesty than lied to, honestly. One of the most endearing traits my husband has is that he can't help but be honest 100% of the time. But, in the Christian life in particular I've had a sinking feeling that I'm missing something if honesty is such a huge part of what it's all about. Being real. Being up front. Putting yourself out there. Being open. These are not bad things, but they are not everything.

In the book, Pippert shares about how her transparency with a friend was a huge factor in how her friend came to saving faith in Christ. However, she says that we should not put being transparent on such a pedestal that we condone the sin of others. Instead, understanding is key, but the Bible doesn't just tell us to be open with others about our sin. It says to repent of it, as our sin is like filthy rags before the Father.

To further her point, Pippert says "I am not suggesting we share our weaknesses as if we were in a "competitive sinning" match in order to be real. Sin isn't God's brand of humanity: perfect obedience is. But so is humble confession when we fail. So our goal must be to live within the balance of aiming for perfect obedience and complete openness."

Well said.

No comments: