Saturday, October 29, 2005

His Unmerited Favor

After an arduous, stressful, and eye-opening divorce from my prior job, the Lord has brought a variety of things to light in my life. Some are beautiful, some are ugly, and some are in-between. But what it all comes down to is the fact that I feel I have God's unmerited favor. Looking back at the past year of my life, I can honestly say that it is not because of my good works, pure heart, or godly attitude that I've been blessed by God. Not to say that those things don't matter to God, because they do. They really do. But some blessings just aren't earned. They were bought with a price on the cross of Christ, and through some queer transaction, have fallen into my life, infusing it with joy.

My new job isn't perfect, but it almost is. I definitely don't deserve it. I actually have no idea how I was hired, considering how I blubbered in answering questions, blushed uncontrollably while searching for the correct answers, and forgot the names of my interviewers. By his grace, everyday I work I read about all kinds of subjects-philosophy, photography, BMX racing, travel, and law, and then I write about them. The office I work in is as quiet as a library, my boss listens and cares when I have questions, and my co-workers are kind. It's unreal, and for that I feel incredibly blessed.

For the past year of transition we've encountered, I have seen God's hand, but not quite as clearly as now. Now in the midst of fall, things are strangely beginning to bloom. Dead leaves are turning green before falling off the tree, and clinging there with hope. Relationships are meaningful again. I'm actually re-learning how to be a godly wife again. And as God pulls me nearer to Him, I feel at peace knowing my God is one who gives unmerited favor.

4 comments:

Tee/Tracy said...

I've felt that way lately, too. You put it into words beautifully. I'm glad I found your blog today.

God is good.

Lisa said...

A very thought provoking post, Brittany. A desperately needed reminder.

Kate McDonald said...

so glad the new job is going well, britt.!

Matthew said...

Lovely testimony.